St Elisabeth Church, Straubing, Germany
In November 2017, the parish church of St Elisabeth in Straubing, Lower Bavaria, once again opened its doors to welcome events and church services. After nearly 30 years in operation, the time had finally come for the building to undergo comprehensive renovation and extension work that included the addition of a weekday chapel, a confessional area, and a vestibule. Special church pew heating systems now ensure that a pleasant temperature is maintained during services. To achieve this, 116 heating panels were installed under the pews using a special construction method. The altar area and chapel are equipped with x-net panel heating. therm-x2 steel panel radiators and vertical Kermi heating panels have been installed in the other rooms.
The special version of the heating panels has proven to be an energy-efficient alternative to conventional electric heating. Several churches in the region have now been equipped with this solution.
St Georg zu Kirch Stück church, Schwerin, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
The first mention of the foundations of this church can be found in documents from the 12th century. For centuries now, the church – a brick building with a single nave, a square tower, and a vaulted chancel annexe – has served the Evangelical Lutheran parish as a gathering point for Christian celebrations.
A friends association was formed in 2012, the same year in which the construction activity began in the church. In addition to the restoration work on the valuable Georgian bell, a electric bell ringing system was installed. To allow for more cultural events throughout the year, investment in an underfloor heating system was made so that the tower room can be used in the winter as a community and meeting space. The decision was also made to install a Kermi x-change compact air/water heat pump with outdoor installation.
One challenge of the installation was the final positioning of the heat pump. As outdoor installation in the neighbouring cemetery directly adjacent to the church was not possible, the only option left was inside the church, right up in the bell tower. For this purpose, the heat pump had to be lifted two storeys using a pulley to reach the bell tower – something that was successfully achieved thanks to the combined strength of all the service engineers at the site. This is where the system now calls home, behind one of the bell tower portholes and invisible from the outside.
Deutsche Rentenversicherung Nord, Hamburg
Hamburg is home to one of the three administrative locations of Deutsche Rentenversicherung Nord, which provides insurance to more than 2300000 people and over 1000000 pensions. Despite these impressive numbers, the self-governing body’s real focus is on providing personalised consultations. It also holds talks on current topics relating to statutory pension insurance, such as rehabilitation, pension benefits, and retirement provisions.
Kermi has supplied the location with around 3200 steel panel radiators, providing a pleasant and beneficial room temperature.
District and Local Court, Düsseldorf
After Düsseldorf District Court was founded in 1820, the city’s Local Court was set up in 1879. It began with four judges, one of whom, Emil Hartwich, gained literary fame: upon his death in a duel, he inspired the basis for Theodor Fontane’s novel “Effi Briest”. Over the years, the courts were housed in different buildings until, in 1915, they moved into what was the then-new courthouse on Mühlenstrasse.
In the face of the changing conditions under which the courts needed to work, a new building had to be created and the courts moved into the Werdener Strasse location at the end of 2009. Constructed and managed by North Rhine-Westphalia’s building and real estate management authority, the structure meets all the requirements of a modern administrative building. therm-x2 energy-saving radiators from Kermi ensure that the rooms are heated in an energy-efficient manner.
Linz is the regional capital of Upper Austria and, with approximately 200000 inhabitants, is Austria’s third-largest city after Vienna and Graz. Named after Governor Johann Nepomuk Hauser, the Hauserhof state building was constructed from 1950 to 1953. In June 2005, construction work began as part of general refurbishment of the Hauserhof, reaching its completion in 2007. The Hauserhof’s renovation is part of the efforts to modernise the area around Linz railway station. As the administrative building of the Upper Austrian regional government, the Hauserhof is home to approximately 15000 square metres of office space for various regional authorities.
Around 1100 Kermi therm-x2 energy-saving radiators ensure that a comfortable level of warmth is maintained in the building, which has been refurbished using the latest technology.
Main Customs Office, Rosenheim
Connected to a previous building, this new structure is designed to house all the employees at the Main Customs Office. The facility required a large amount of extra space to be added primarily due to its department responsible for financial monitoring of illegal employment. The addition of the new building created a main area totalling 2843 m² in size. The central staircase and the lift for disabled access are located in the head-end structure by the main entrance and, thanks to the generously sized steel and glass facade plus a design that clearly links the inside and outside, blend in well with the facade at the entrance to the old building.
Kermi is represented with more than 320 convectors and heating panels in this construction project.